Someone this morning posted a chicken pasol dish, it sounds all so good! Be sure to check out his recipe.
This wonderful recipe was shared by a friend who promised me that it was handed down from his grandmother, Rosa. Not sure if my friend ever had a grandmother. Anyway my friend added that Rosa (his grandmother) said that she also refers to this dish as “Spanish Style Pasol.”
Well whatever we name it, it is delicious.
1 lb pork butt (dice that baby – that’s what Rosa said)
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
2 cups red chilli puree
1 small onion (chop that baby – that’s what Rosa said)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups cooked hominy
3 ½ cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme
1 lime, zest & juice
cilantro (for garnish – go ask Rosa)
1 tbsp oil
- In a pot (a good heavy one), heat the oil seasoning with salt & pepper, and sear your pork till the skin forms – remove the skin.
- Sweat the onion, bay leaf, thyme, and lime (zest & juice).
- Add the good stuff; pork, garlic, tomato sauce, and pureed red chilli, and chicken stock.
- Simmer till meat is tender, then add hominy and adjust seasoning to your taste (Rosa says its time to garnish with the cilantro).
I suggest you have a drink of wine after each of the above steps, and also/maybe a drink during each of the above steps . . . Ahhhhhhhh, so good. So now lets make the Calabasas:
1 lb summer squash (chop it thin, ah, you’re learning, yes, that’s what Rosa said)
I cup corn (doesn’t matter if its frozen or fresh)
¼ cup diced onion
1 cup diced sweet bell pepper (go wild, try the yellow, orange, or red)
1 diced tomato
¼ cup queso fresco
¼ cup chopped parsley
- Sweat onion in little oil, then add your corn, green chilli, squash and sauté.
- Add cheese, tomato & parsley.
Same as above, keep the wine flowing. After you try this fabulous dish share your experience.